WHAT IS GDPR?
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a regulation passed by the European Union in 2016 that focuses on data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union and the European Economic Area (EEA). The GDPR sets rules for how companies manage and share personal data. The GDPR requirements address the export of personal data outside the EU as well, and it is applicable for enterprises across the globe that use and store EU citizen’s personal information.
GDPR applies to organizations that collect personal information from residents or organizations that process data from residents. These organizations that collect personal information or process data are called “data controllers”. Data controllers often work with organizations that process data on behalf of them, like cloud service providers. Organizations that provide services to data controllers, including contact center vendors and cloud vendors, must follow GDPR regulation as well.
Here are some of the regulations that GDPR compliance entails:
- Consent: Consent to process data must be provided in an intelligible, accessible form, using plain, clear language. Consent must be easy to withdraw.
- Notification: If there is a data breach, companies must notify their customers and controllers within 72 hours of becoming aware of the breach.
- Data Transparency: People have the right to receive a free copy of their personal data, along with confirmation of how, where, and why their data is being processed.
- Right to Be Forgotten: People have the right to have their personal data erased and have organizations stop disseminating and processing their data any further.
- Portability: People have the right to receive their data in a “commonly used and machine readable format” and be able to transmit that data to another controller.
- Need to Know: Organizations must minimize their use of and access to sensitive data. Holding and processing data should only be done when absolutely necessary for the completion of the organization’s duties.
WHAT DATA IS COVERED UNDER GDPR?
According to the GDPR, personal data constitutes “any information relating to an individual, whether it relates to his or her private, professional, or public life. It can be anything from a name, a home address, a photo, an email address, bank details, posts on social networking websites, medical information, or a computer’s IP address”. This data falls under the GDPR category of PII, or personally identifiable information
GDPR AND BRIGHT PATTERN — COMPREHENSIVE DATA PROTECTION
Bright Pattern provides services to organizations involved with collecting, processing, and storing sensitive information of EU citizens. As a result, Bright Pattern has the responsibility of supporting the organization’s compliance with GDPR regulation.
To support compliance with GDPR requirements, Bright Pattern allows authorized personnel to manually erase the content of any interaction. Any interaction on any channel is capable of being erased, including voice recordings, voice recording transcripts, chat transcripts, email messages, and screen recordings. When content of an interaction is erased, the interaction record itself is still preserved for record-keeping purposes.
The ability to remove sensitive data from interaction records is enabled for users with special security administration privileges. These privileges can be set on the Bright Pattern system. Privileged system administrators can erase content from specific interactions, services, and campaigns. Content erasure is recorded in every contact center’s audit log, and system admins can find each instance of erasure via search.
In compliance with GDPR “right to be forgotten” regulation, customers will have the ability to request that their data be erased. Although agents can’t do the erasing, they can request qualified admins and specialists to perform the erasure of data.
BRIGHT PATTERN – OMNICHANNEL, SEAMLESS, ADVANCED CONTACT CENTER SOFTWARE
Bright Pattern’s contact center software is the most advanced omnichannel contact center software on the market. Provide seamless customer experience and empower your agents through our powerful omnichannel solutions. Click here to read more about our powerful omnichannel solution or check below to see a list of key features that our contact center software offers:
- Campaign Management
- True omnichannel
- Inbound call center
- Outbound call center
- Blended call center
- Integrates with all CRM platforms
- Computer telephony integration (CTI)
- WFO/WFM Integration
- Screen-pop functionality
- Intelligent call and digital routing
- Integrated Voice Response (IVR)
- Omnichannel quality management
- Click-to-call, click-to-chat capability
- Predictive, progressive, automatic, and preview dialing
- All digital channels (e.g., chat, email, SMS/MMS, messengers, video, etc.)
- Automatic call distribution (ACD)
- Single customer view
- Single sign-on (SSO)
- Rich administration and supervisor tools
- AI capabilities
- Call recording
- Screen recording
- Built-in knowledge base
- Omnichannel Agent Desktop